Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fighting for Dominican and Costa Rica

Every day, things just get better for me. Im still trying to adapt with the workloads i have to do, but it’s normal for a medical student. I went to Saint Andrews and Dundee to visiti my friend there, Lee Chin Wei. We were very close back then in KY because he was my senior, staying in a chalet next to mine. The trip was good, and we catched up with each other a lot. It has been nearly 2 years we didnt meet up with each other, but the beauty of friendship is that we always make some time and space to just say hi to each other. Lee is a Chinese, while Im a Malay, and of course the common stigma people will have is that there will always be some difficulties to just talk with each other. But, i noticed that, I never find racial issue as a barrier to make friends, in fact most of my closest friends come from different races. We always put racial barrier aside, and sometimes, we just make jokes out of it (Vicky!)

Lee has grown up, and of course everyone is growing up too. He’s doing very well in St Andrews, getting into top 10 every exam he has. I still remembered the ‘previous Lee’ before this, someone who always stayed in the room until late at night. But along the way, we find that that’s not the whole point of living a life. He has changed, from a bookworm, to someone who has a pretty good and balanced social life there. At the end, it doesnt matter from which university you come from. What matters the most is the values and lessons you learn in living a life.

Im currently working on a voluntary project in countries, and I hope that I will be able to raise enough funds to do my community service with Alice and a few other locals here. What we have in mind are Dominican Republic, South Africa, Costa Rica, Eastern Europe, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand. It’s going to be a 2 week project, which costs around 50 000 pounds (or 1000 each person), and we hope we can raise enough money before summer. I find that this will be a great chance to learn more about people, and share the beauty of life with others. But Im still fighting to do it in Costa Rica and Dominican Republic, since both countries are very poor, and i want all my teammates to feel, what it is like when you dont always get what you one. I notice that some of them have not been thankful enough with what they have

1 comment:

Vickneshwaran Gunasegar said...

Melayu rempiiiitttt! :) india bakar mayat :) i miss you...